Summerlicious 2022 returns as a free and modified version of the popular City of Toronto program, designed to limit barriers to restaurant participation and drive on-premises dining business, while also signaling a return to normalcy.
Summerlicious 2022 aims to:
- Support in the recovery and revival of Toronto’s restaurants,
- Generate economic activity for the restaurant industry,
- Encourage residents to engage with restaurants on-premises and renew consumer confidence to once again enjoy indoor dining, and
- Celebrate Toronto’s diverse culinary offerings.
Summerlicious 2022 Program Details
- Participating restaurants must offer a 3-course prix fixe menu for lunch and/or dinner, according to their regular business hours, and for on-premises dining (indoor and patio, if available).
- Prix fixe menu(s) must consist of an appetizer/starter, main, and dessert, and offer a minimum of three options per course.
- Prix fixe menu(s) must be priced at one of the program’s expanded range of price point categories.
New changes for Summerlicious 2022
The traditional Summerlicious program has been modified to limit barriers to participation for restaurants, including:
- Free participation (no fee)
- Expanded range of price point categories for 3-course prix fixe Summerlicious menus, both lower and higher than the traditional three price point categories (beverages, tax and gratuity not included):
- $20 Lunch / $25 Dinner (new price point category)
- $27 Lunch / $35 Dinner
- $34 Lunch / $45 Dinner
- $41 Lunch / $55 Dinner
- $48 Lunch / $65 Dinner (new price point category)
- $55 Lunch / $75 Dinner (new price point category)
- Simplified, online application process.
Determination of Price Point Category
The price point category for the prix fixe menu will be determined by the average price of a 3-course meal from a restaurant’s regular dinner menu at the time of application. If a restaurant does not serve dinner, the lunch menu can be used.
Based on this mathematical average (note, do not use a cheque average), the restaurant will select a program price point category (dinner price) that is less than or approximately the same as but not higher than their average 3-course meal from their current regular dinner menu.
Restaurants are encouraged to offer their prix fixe menu(s) at a competitive price point that will still provide a value to consumers, but not the level pre-determined by past program requirements (as in the traditional Summerlicious).
When selecting the appropriate prix fixe menu price point category, restaurants are cautioned to not over-price their prix fixe menu(s) and to consider what would motivate consumers to select their restaurant and prix fixe menu during Summerlicious. If a restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, their lunch prix fixe menu will be priced at the corresponding lunch price of the selected dinner price point category. If a restaurant is not open for lunch, they only need to offer the dinner prix fixe menu.
To participate in the Summerlicious 2022 modified program, interested restaurants should:
- Review the program criteria, application process, and online application form,
- Ensure they meet all program criteria, and
- Complete and submit the online application.
Once an application submission is reviewed and a restaurant is determined to have met all criteria, including an appropriate price point category, their application and participation in Summerlicious 2022 will be confirmed.