Program Overview and Objective
Small retail businesses are the heart of Toronto’s main streets, employ thousands of residents, and are a key driver of the city’s prosperity.
This program provides access to retail training, advisory services and mentoring opportunities. In addition, it offers a micro grant valued at $10,000 to help retail businesses develop and expand.
This program offers a $10,000 micro grant to help retail businesses develop and expand.
The Retail Accelerator Program is available to owners of retail businesses within the City of Toronto.
The following types of independent business ventures are eligible to participate:
- Sole proprietorship or corporation where the applicant is the majority shareholder; or
- Partnership where the applicant holds the majority share; if shared 50/50 only one partner may apply
The following types of businesses are not eligible to apply for or participate in the Retail Accelerator Program:
- Franchises, commissioned sales and distributorships
- Online e-commerce retail operations (must have a physical location)
- Mobile retail operations of any kind
- Business ventures that are continuations of existing commercial endeavours
- Not-for-profits, social enterprises, co-operatives or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
- Single events, musical bands, DJs or party event organizations
Applicant must meet the following to be eligible for consideration for the Retail Accelerator Program:
- 18 years of age or older
- Operate an independent retail business in the City of Toronto
- Be full time self-employed and be the majority owner in the business
- Have a current lease agreement or ownership documentation for the retail location
- Maintain a separate business bank account, following government rules and regulations for operating a business
- Prepared to commit to the business training components of the program
- Prepared to provide proof of expenses as requested by City of Toronto
- Prepared to complete a survey at the end of the program
How to Apply
Complete the online application form below and submit all required documentation by March 31, 2022. Please have the following documents ready to upload:
- Proof of ownership of the commercial space in which the retail business operates (if the applicant is the owner of the space); OR proof of current lease/rent agreement of the commercial space in which the retail business operates (if the applicant is a tenant of the space)
- Proof of valid commercial insurance certificate for the business
- Proof of business registration; e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Master Business License
Register for the upcoming virtual information sessions on January 17