Starter Company Plus $5,000 Grant
The Starter Company Plus Grant supports eligible entrepreneurs looking to build their small businesses. Select entrepreneurs will receive training, mentoring, and advice and will be eligible to apply for a micro-grant of $5,000 to assist with growth and expansion of their business.
The Starter Company Plus Grant program includes:
- Over 20 hours of business training,
- Micro-grant of $5,000, and
- Up to six months of advisory services.
Two funding streams are available at different times of year: for general businesses and for female founders.
Eligibility and Requirements
This round of the Starter Company Plus Grant is available to entrepreneurs that meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- Identify as female,
- Be 18 years of age or older,
- Not be attending school or planning to return to school while enrolled in the program,
- Be devoting a minimum of 35 hours per week to their small business and not employed anywhere else,
- Not be enrolled in any other government-funded employment program, and
- Be a resident of Toronto with ability to demonstrate proof of physical address.
Eligible entrepreneurs must also have small businesses that meet the following criteria:
- Must be registered at the time of application (Sole Proprietor, Partnership or Corporation) and this documentation must show a Toronto address,
- Must have a commercial business bank account which corresponds with Business Registration documentation,
- Must have majority ownership and the ability to demonstrate proof of ownership and/or shareholder agreement,
- Must be located in the City of Toronto with ability to demonstrate proof of physical address,
- Businesses that require certification and/or license must be current at the time of application,
- Must have been in operation for a minimum of six months and be able to demonstrate financial activity statements for this period,
- Can provide a 25% investment of the grant amount ($1,250), and
- Must be able to commit to 12 hours of virtual entrepreneurship training.